In April, 2017 we celebrated our 64th year as a congregation! Holy Trinity Lutheran Church was chartered on the Second Sunday of Easter, April 12, 1953, with 74 people as a congregation of the Illinois Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America. Services were held in the Hammerschmidt School gymnasium until February, 1955, when the first sanctuary was dedicated in what formerly was a corn field at the corner of Grace and Madison streets. This building and its basement, after several renovations, currently serves as our lounge and lower level pre-school area.
In 1962, the ULCA merged with other Lutheran church bodies to become the Lutheran Church in America. Our present Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall areas were completed in January, 1963.During 1978, a major refurbishing program was accomplished, including the installation of a new pipe organ.
Another merger of Lutheran church bodies on January 1, 1988 brought the congregation into the Metropolitan Chicago Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
In June of 1992, Holy Trinity marked the fulfillment of an extensive expansion and remodeling program. After several years of planning, the parking lot was enlarged, reconfigured and landscaped; a new entrance, gathering area, music room, youth room, nursery, and offices were added; the Sunday School and fellowship hall were redone; and the old lounge and entrance changed and redecorated.
With a matching-fund grant from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's Retirement Foundation and with the generous support of the congregation's membership, our facility was made handicapped accessible during 2007. Renovations to the chancel made it possible for worshipers to come to the altar rail without having to climb steps, and pews were redesigned to accommodate wheelchairs and walker. A handicapped accessible rest room was built on the lower level, and the parking lot was reconfigured.
Pastors who have served at Holy Trinity:
Robert Hooker (1953)
Kenneth Proefrock (1953-57)
Robert Farb (1958)
Eldred Trede (1958-62)
Edward Driscoll (1963-72)
Kenneth Schroeder (1973-1998)
Robert Braband (1999-2015).
Amy Gillespie (2016-Present)
In the 1960's we had two visitation pastors, Rev.'s Luther Cooperider, and Royal Lesher.
There have been three assistant pastors, Rev. Hal Goehrs (1969-73), Rev. Jan Erickson-Pearson (1983-85), and Rev. Jack Kane (1997-1999).
Three members of the congregation have been called to serve as pastors in the Lutheran Church: George Megard (1974), Doug Johnson (1988), and Melinda Elliott, (2002).